April Follow Up

Since my tough brew day in April I have made 5 batches of beer, 2 of which were a Pilsner that turned out really, really good and the on the last one all of the numbers were spot on. So now that it is the 9th of September 2019 what did I learn in the last 5 months?

First the April beer did not turn out as bad as I thought was going to be, it ended with a final gravity of 1.011 and an ABV of 4.4%. When I transferred it to the secondary it was still cloudy and had a bitter taste to it but that cleared up in the secondary and it was a decent beer to drink, not what I’m used to but it was ok.

The second thing is that hose clamps really do work (that is a no brainer, I was just being cheap and lazy the first time around). I also learned to pay closer attention to temperatures as I am heating the strike water or going from one mash step to another. The pot I got from Jeff is a lot heavier than what I was use to and it holds more heat after the flame is turned off. So if I’m shooting for a strike temp of 153 degrees with the old pot I would turn the flame off after a solid reading of 152 degrees and with this new pot I need to turn off the flame just as it is getting to 151 degrees. So that was a bit of trial and error figuring out when to turn off the flame to hit the desired temp.

The last thing I learned is to let it sit for at least 30 minutes after you are done whirl pooling, if you have the time let it sit for an hour. The longer it sits the more the break material will settle out. Not that there is any thing wrong with getting some break material in the primary as it is good nutrients for the yeast and it will settle out in the fermenter.